Thursday, November 12, 2009

Things That Make You Go, "Yes!"

Finally, with the help of a generous backer (aka, interest-free loan from a loved one), I was able to get my car painted!

Thanks to the Texas heat and the proximity of my location to the equator, the sun was not kind to the stock paint and clear coat job of my car. Over the past year+, I have slowly watched my first brand new car go from something lovely, to something ugly.


Imagine this all over the roof and driver's side of the car.

Not only was she self-conscious, but I was self-conscious for her. I hated driving a car that looked like a clunker when I knew it wasn't. Maybe it is just me, but I felt judged. Especially because the city I live in is very affluent. Everyone around here drives cars that cost upwards of $45K+, and here I am, in my car that looks like a beater. It was hard on our self esteem.

I took her to a body shop and got an estimate. Over the next month and a half, I scraped money together the best I could, but other expenses kept coming up. Finally, a loved one stepped in and offered to loan me the money to take care of my car. I was grateful beyond words. It took me a few days, but I finally accepted.

Last week I dropped my car off on Monday evening, and she was ready to go by Wednesday morning. When I woke up Thursday morning, this is the sight that greeted my eager eyes.


She didn't look this good when she was new! The body shop sanded her down to the metal and then applied three coats of paint and three coats of clear coat. She had one coat of each off the assembly line.

Needless to say, I was stoked. I sent my loved one a picture with a very heart felt thank you, followed up later with a phone call.

I still can't believe how good she looks. I even still have a hard time remembering she doesn't look like a clunker anymore, and so I don't need to shrink down in my seat when I see people I know, or try to sneak into my car after work so no one knows I drive the junky looking car. Both of our self esteems have been returned to where they were the day our relationship began all those many years ago.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time yet. Who knows, it may be my daughter's first car. :D

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Your car looks lovely! How sweet of that person to give you a loan! I am glad that your car won't be embarrassed to go out anymore.

Potters said...

Wow, what a difference that paint job made. Your car looks great.

Life Happens said...

Wow, your car looks amazing! What a difference. I hope she keeps that look up and keep running for a very long time!!