Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Perfect for a Rainy Fall Evening

All right my few and faithful readers, it is time for something a little less serious. I don't want this blog to be only about dealing with life's crap. I want it to be about the good things too. So tonight I bring you one of my all-time favorite things, the making of cheese soup.

My mother made cheese soup a lot when I was growing up because I loved it so much. There was nothing like a hot bowl of the soup made from scratch on a chilly fall or winter day. It was such a treat. I remember how my mom would cook it for hours in a crock pot, and I would snitch a taste every now and then to make sure it was all coming together nicely. I still do that because it is tradition!

When I was in college I made it for my roommates, and when we had guys over, it was the entree of choice. I have yet to find a person who doesn't love it and request it when possible. When I met DH and made it for him the first time, he was skeptical that a soup could fill him up. He was hooked after his first taste. Now, like I did when I was a kid, he gets all excited when I make it.

I knew yesterday that Wednesday was supposed to be rainy and cold, so I told DH I would prep the soup on Tuesday night and we would have it for dinner the next day. Complete with fresh, warm rolls. Right according to plan, the temps dropped off 10 degrees in a matter of an hour, and the ominous rain clouds that have been hanging around since Monday became threatening.

Weather that is perfect for some cheese soup!

I had let the dogs out to play for a bit, but after they did their biz, they were ready to come back in and catch any carrots or potatoes that fell off the cutting board.


My dogs are conditioned to the sound of my chopping veggies, and so are always at my feet when I do. First up, I sauteed onions and cut the carrots.

The crock pot patiently waits, as DH's first love, pecan pie, looks on in the background.

Next, its potatoes.


I usually add celery, but we didn't have any. Then I added frozen corn and peas. Then it was time to add the spices.


Then comes the part I don't like so much, making the cheese base. You have to be quick on your toes while making the base and stir like a crazy woman the whole time to keep it from turning clumpy like bad gravy.


Then you mix the cheese base in with the veggies, and cook. This is the soup before it was cooked.


I would show you the finished product, but it is in the fridge, waiting for tomorrow. Trust me when I say it looks amazing and smells even better. DH and I can't wait to dig in tomorrow!

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Mmmm... cheese soup. It looks fantastic. I bet it is going to taste awesome. Maybe I will make soup for dinner tonight too. Its kind of cold here as well.

Life Happens said...

Sounds and looks yummy! My husband loves all things cheesy so he might like this. Can I have the recipe?? Enjoy your dinner!

Jill said...

Yum!! Can we have the recipe?

Jaymee said...

looks amazing!! i want to try this once the weather here finally cools down. please, please give us the recipe, please, please.

Potters said...

I need this recipe! Please! It looks very yummy. What is it with guys and thinking that soup isn't going to fill them up?