However, there is one area where our marriage is far from equal, and that is when it comes to housework, maintaining a household, and doing things for the baby. There, I do it all. It drives me INSANE. 99% of our fights stem from his lack of help.
I (from hereon referred to as "Wonder Woman"):
- Work a full time job
- Clean the house from top to bottom
- Do the laundry for DH and I every other week and twice a week for the baby
- Take care of two dogs (these are my dogs, so I don't mind that he doesn't help here)
- Take the baby to daycare
- Take the baby to doctor appointments
- Take care of the baby
- Get the baby up and ready in the morning
- Bathe and get the baby ready for bed at night
- Give the baby all of her prescription medications, which right now includes three breathing treatments a day due to RSV
- Do the grocery shopping
- Fill the prescriptions
- Do any and all shopping for the house minus the stuff from Lo.wes
- Clean the baby bottles and sippy cups daily
- Clean her breathing treatment mask and cup three times a day
I do it all. My days go from the butt crack of dawn until the late night hours. I rarely get to sit and have time to myself, and when I do, it comes out of the time I should be sleeping, which is usually when I blog.
DH (hereon referred to as "Superman"):
- Works a full time job
- On very, very rare occasions helps me clean up a little bit
- On even more rare occasions, tinkers with a house project
- Watches TV
- Plays with the baby
- Occasionally helps with the baby
- Plays on his computer
Do you see my frustration here? Even more frustrating is the fact that he gives me zero recognition for all that I do. If I complain he doesn't help, he tells me I don't have to do any of it either, and that if I don't want to, I should just stop. Good call Superman. The baby doesn't need to be taken care of and neither do the house or the dogs. Let's just let everything fend for itself while we watch our flesh melt into the couch as we watch TV.
But even more frustrating than that is when I ask him to help out. My God you'd think I asked him to cut off his favorite appendage! The screams can be heard across the galaxy. And then what does Wonder Woman get called? A nag. Let me tell you, I rarely ask him for anything because he is such a pain in the ass about it when I do. So when I do, it is because of days like today where I am emotionally and physically exhausted. My super powers are drained, and I need a little help. I don't think that is too much to ask. After all, I do it all, all of the time!
Yes, I am Wonder Woman, but every now and then, even Wonder Woman needs a little recognition, a little recharge to her super powers, a little break from her crazy insane life of keeping the world at rights. I understand he needs time to recoup at the end of a long work day. My question there is when does Wonder Woman get to recoup?! I worked a long work day too, and then some! It seems like Superman's powers are short lived and the recharge time is incredibly long, like an old laptop battery on its last leg.
During my recharge time, I often blog. He HATES the blog. He LOATHES ICLW. He wines about it. He actually smarts off to me when I want to go to bed early and says in his naggy voice, "Going to bed to blog?" Who cares? It didn't come out of our time together, it comes out of my sleep.
Now I will climb down off my Bitch Box. I sincerely love my husband, and there is no one in this world I would rather be with. He is my everything, and I am nothing without him. I just wish that every now and then he would recharge my battery with a little help when saving the world is too much for me, or for him to let me know he realizes just how much I do. Is that too much to ask?